Monday, May 30, 2011

Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War II Soldier, Normandy, France, 1944



Walter Dean Myers thrusts the 21st. century reader into the heat of the Normandy invasion. Scott Collins' journal follows the gritty battle through the perspective of a young American soldier. This engaging first-person narrative builds background knowledge that brings social studies to life.  Myers' poignant depiction of the soldier's life allows readers relate to the many youth who fought and sacrificed for this nation.

As an avid Dear America fan, I picked up this book back in the day, skeptical about the plot of a boy's "journal".  My first thought after reading a few entries was this is better than "Saving Private Ryan." I always wanted to get inside the characters heads, and Myers finally took me there. Though this is the only title I've read in the My Name Is America Series, I am confident that this series is a wonderful way to achieve content area literacy.  Plus, every American child needs to know and feel that they are a part of this country's grand narrative. Instructional texts alone are not enough to foster that awareness. Rich historical fiction such as Myers' work engages readers holistically, leaving them poised to discover their role in the American story.

Reading Level from Lexile: 810L

No comments:

Post a Comment