Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My People

Happy Langston Hughes' Birthday!

One hundred and nine. James Mercer Langston Hughes would turn 109 if he were still living to day. Hard to believe 1902 was that long ago, but then maybe it's not so hard to believe. America looks considerably different than it did when Hughes mirrored life through his vivacious writing.    No doubt he would be surprised to see how children are growing up in the 21st. century. Lifestyle has certainly changed since Hughes was a young. However, children have not really have not changed at all. Hughes triumphantly depicts the resilience of a life through this simple piece: 

My People


The night is beautiful,
So the faces of my people.

The stars are beautiful,
So the eyes of my people.

Beautiful, also, is the sun.
Beautiful, also, are the souls of my people. 

Langston Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment