Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Roll of Thunder Gift Set




My parents gave me the Mildred D. Taylor series gift set as birthday present. I must have been ten or eleven. The timing couldn't have been better. I sensed commonality with Taylor's life-like characters, immersing myself in the Depression era Deep South. The protagonist, Cassie Logan, is the daughter of Black land-owners who have over come generations of adversity and injustice. Their land-ownership sets them apart from the majority of their community who are share-croppers. This young girl is n o exception; Taylor follows Cassie as she experiences the cruelty and senselessness of prejudice first hand. The stomach churning accounts of hatred and lyrical prose will engage readers mind, body and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment