Saturday, March 12, 2011

I Love You Like Crazy Cakes

Rose Lewis wrote this touching picture book about her daughter Alexandra's adoption story. The tale begins in a large nursery in China. Cribs full of baby girls without mommies line the room in
neat rows. Lewis notes that there was something missing, then takes readers across the ocean and into her American home, where something was missing as well. Retelling Alexandra's adoption journey, Lewis invites readers to peek over her shoulder as she writes the Chinese government regarding adoption; feel the exhaustion of Lewis' plan ride to China to meet her daughter, and rejoice back at home in the U.S. with her new family. Jane Dyer's colorful illustrations capture the wonder and deep emotion of this family's first bonding moments.


My baby sister turns 17 tomorrow. I can remember the decision to adopt her and her older sister. I was only six, and the thought of having younger siblings was both exhilarating and alarming. Besides being the cutest baby with a basketball stomach (she came to us with a belly full of parasites) and bowed legs, she was also a screamer. Waking up to her endless crying (until my twin went to calm her down) became routine as she transitioned from baby to toddler. She's not a baby anymore, and I'm so grateful I was able to watch her grow into the young woman she is today. Her life has shaped mine in so many ways, it's difficult to imagine who I would be today without her in my life. Happy Birthday, Dear!

Reading Level from Lexile: AD550L 

No comments:

Post a Comment