Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Little House in the Big Woods


The best part about this book is that it is true! Wilder penned her first-hand experience into The Little House series, which is the classic American saga of 19th century pioneer life.  We meet Laura as a young girl residing in the great white north and follow her across the years to the even whiter prairie plains. Are you beginning to since a pattern here? Think winter weather. I'm slightly preoccupied with the issue as we head into day 3 of Atlanta's 2011 snow-siege. Laura Ingalls devoted a whole book to the subject, recounting her family's survival in the face of starvation one harsh winter (not a concern these days...thank God for Whole Foods down the street :).  But I'm getting ahead of myself – The Long Winter is book #6. 

Book #1, Little House in the Big Woodsbegins the series with blizzards and sleds, a quirky pig game, and (my faves!) syrup-turned-snow-candy. According to my sources, “sugar on snow” is a long standing tradition for our northern-dwelling brothers and sisters. My Mom (Illinois native) helped me and my siblings make our own candy on the back porch as kids. That was when we lived in the States of course! Definitely didn't taste any snow candy in Ghana. 

 Mom loved the Little House  series. Sitting on her lap, gazing at the sketches of Laura and Mary while listening to the story of Pa and the panther is one of my earliest Mommy-read aloud memories. The Little House Books are ideal for early readers with their short chapters and Garth Williams' descriptive sketches. Young boys and girls alike will enjoy these heart-warming narratives of olden-day life.  

  • Age Range: 8 to 12
  • Lexile: 0930L

No comments:

Post a Comment